Monday 23 July 2007

The dear Forget-me-not


FORGET-ME-NOT
COULD every blossom find a voice
And sing a strain to me,
I know where I would place my choice,
Which my delight should be.
I would not choose the lily tall,
The rose from musky grot,
But I would still my minstrel call
The blue Forget-me-not.

And I on mossy bank would lie,
Of brooklet, rippling clear;
And she of the sweet, azure eye,
Close at my listening ear,
Should sing into my soul a strain
Might never be forgot,
So rich with joy, so rich with pain--
The blue Forget-me-not.

Ah! every blossom hath a tale,
With silent grace to tell,
From rose that reddens to the gale
To modest heather-bell;
But oh! the flower in every heart
That finds a sacred spot
To bloom, with azure leaves apart,
Is the Forget-me-not.

Love plucks it from the mosses green
When parting hours are high,
And places it Love's palms between
With many an ardent sigh;
And bluely up from grassy graves
In some loved churchyard spot
It glances tenderly and waves--
The dear Forget-me-not.

Crawford, Isabella Valancy (1850-1887)

9 comments:

studio lolo said...

very nice, and one of my favorite little flowers as well!

Nicole Florian said...

An other beautiful and sensitive painting!

janie said...

I love your birdies, simple and sweet and so beautiful.

Ursula Shaw said...

Really beautiful. Love your style.

Laura Bray said...

Love your little bird!

Jannie aka Chickengirl said...

very sweet!

Ellen Byrne said...

how lovely! just WONDERFUL!

Anonymous said...

So beautifull!

Anonymous said...

one l away, I am sorry!